In a perfect world, Apple would make our dreams come true (and blow our minds) with an extravagant Black Friday sale that offers big savings on new products, like the iPhone 6, iPad Mini 3 and second generation iPad Air.
Sadly, and unsurprisingly, this year’s Black Friday deals from Apple aren’t exactly going to make our dreams come true. You can expect the same predictable five percent discounts on iPhones, iPods, iPads and Macbooks, along with a free shipping promotion here and there. Trying to save big on Apple devices around the holidays? You’re best off shopping just about anywhere but the Apple store. The best prices on Apple products, especially last generation devices, usually come from the likes of Amazon, Best Buy and hhgregg, so consider your options to avoid any unnecessary overspending.
Top Black Friday Apple Deals for 2014:
- 16GB iPad Mini 2 with WiFi + $100 GC – $299.00 at Target Get your hands on an iPad Mini for a net cost of just $199! That’s $200 less than you’d pay for the latest generation, which doesn’t offer much more than a fingerprint sensor.
- Apple MacBook Air with 11.6″ Display – $799.99 at Best Buy You rarely see a price this low on a new, current generation member of the MacBook lineup. Best Buy is offering the 11″ Air for $100 off list.
- iPad Air 16GB with Wifi – $299.00 at hhgregg This is the best deal we’ve seen on an iPad Air. Walmart comes close ($297 net with an included $100 gift card) but who wants to pay more at the register?
- iPhone 6 + $75 GC – $179.99 (w/ 2 yr. contract) at Walmart, in-store only Get your hands on the latest iPhone for just a bit over $100! You can save even more when you trade in your old iPhone (up to $200).
- 5th Generation iPod touch 16GB 5th Gen – $149.99 at Best Buy Best Buy is offering a 25% discount on the fifth generation iPod Touch.
- $100 iTunes Gift Card – $85.00 at Best Buy Is there anything better than getting $100 worth of music, movies and apps for $15 less than usual?
Tech sites are abuzz with the October releases of the iPad Air 2 and the iPad Mini 3. With the debut of these shiny new tablets, we’re not surprised to see some gift card bundles and pretty serious discounts on previous generation tablets. The standard iPad with Retina display and the iPad mini (without Retina display) will likely be discontinued and sent on a death march to the Island of Misfit Apple Products, and this is good news for deal-savvy shoppers. You can find great prices on discontinued and refurbished Apple products when you at shop other online retailers like eBay.
Since the release of the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus, we’ve already seen some major price cuts on the iPhone 5c and 5s. Apple is offering the 5s for $99 with a two-year contract, and the 5c is free! We predict we’ll see these prices blown out of the water on Black Friday, so check back here for pricing updates on these older generation phones. As we mentioned in our 2014 Black Friday Predictions, Walmart was the place to go last year to get the 5c for a net gain of $35, and that was just months after its release! We think you may be able to get the 5c this year for a net gain of up to $50, but we’ll just have to wait and see.
To Apple’s credit, the MacBook Air models they released in April are significantly cheaper than ever before. The 11-inch MacBook Air starts at $899 retail and the 13-inch at $999, which is even less than their Black Friday sale prices last year. So keep your eyes peeled during the 2014 Black Friday season; if you play your cards right, you may be able get a new MacBook Air at a PC price.
While the Apple Watch announcement made quite a splash, it sadly isn’t slated for release until early 2015. We’ll have to wait until then to know the retail price of the new smart watch, and even longer to see any kind of price drop. Of course what everyone really wants is a good deal on an iPhone 6 or 6 Plus. Last year, we saw the ritzier iPhone 5S being sold for as low as $179.99 at Target, and I’d wager we’ll see even lower Black Friday pricing on the smaller screened, 16GB iPhone 6. It’s hard to say how much the $299 16GB iPhone 6 Plus will go for, but we can guess. The first generation iPad mini was also being sold for $299 retail last year, and we saw quite a few Black Friday deals for that product as low as $239. We’re actually already seeing some Black Friday-type pricing on these new phones. Our favorites? Walmart is offering the iPhone 6 at $179 and the iPhone 6 Plus at $279 with a 2-year contract with either AT&T, Sprint or Verizon. If you have an older generation iPhone in good, working condition, AT&T will give you up to a $300 credit to trade it in, which is enough to make both of these new phones free with a 2-year contract! If we’re seeing deals like this now, we can expect even crazier savings on Black Friday, so your bank account will thank you if you wait just a little longer to pick up a new iPhone.